The Church in the 14th - 16th Centuries
It is difficult for us to envisage the situation prevailing in Cromer during this period but there must have been great prosperity and spirituality in the community for it to have created and maintained such a magnificent structure.
Dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, the church was built of freestone and squared and knapped flints in the Early Perpendicular style at its finest. It consisted of a nave measuring 105 feet in length, a chancel 61 feet long, North and South Aisles (the breadth of the nave and aisles being 63 feet) and North and South Porches. The West Porch (The Galilee Porch) was added at a later date. There were 4 chapels; the Chapel of Our Lady of Pity, the Chapel of the Good Cross, the Chapel of St. Nicholas and the Maid Ridibons Chapel.
A tower, 60 feet higher than any parish church tower in Norwich, then considered to be second only in the realm to London, and the highest church tower in Norfolk, will be described in greater detail in the next section. The overall measurement from the West Door to the east wall of the Chancel is approximately 188 feet.
There was a Rood Screen which extended from the North Aisle wall across the nave to the South Aisle wall; this had turrets and entrances on both sides. A six-sided turret can still be seen on the north side, although the doorway is now bricked up. William Crowmere, a citizen of Cromer who was Mayor of London in 1413, and Lord Mayor in 1424, left £40 in his Will (a lot of money in those days) for a Rood Loft. The church had many shrines and images belonging to various Guilds; and several Lights. Proof of the great splendour provided by wealthy patrons and parishioners can be seen in the Inventory taken during the reign of King Edward VI (1547-1552). The High Altar was sumptuously furnished with very fine vestments and ornaments. The Bells were valued at £46, which was also a considerable figure for that period.